My eldest son was suspended from school yesterday, unexpectedly.
This troubled me more than it should have and I couldn’t figure out exactly why.
See if you can help me out.
- The powerlessness I felt when the principal used the term “zero tolerance”.
- The powerlessness I felt sitting in her office and being there on her terms .
- The powerlessness I felt knowing I couldn’t use the words digression or tolerance.
- The public servant choreography of a one size fits all policy.
- The walk of shame he took with all his books and bags and chattels, which must be removed from the school for the duration of a 2 day suspension.
- His delayed breakdown and emotional outburst in the car when we decided which days to take the suspension.
- Her later admission that she knew of a student who was similarly suspended and ended up getting 600 point in his leaving.
But mostly, it was the ghosts of that dammed place come back to haunt me. I looked at the pictures on the walls, those confining and imprisoning walls, plastered in valedictorians and other cunts whom I hated then, and whose spots have not changed since.
I know he’ll be fine, being well able for that horrid place.